WIETA strives to ensure fair treatment, respectful relationships and dignified lives toward achieving a transformed agricultural sector.
As a multi stakeholder, the organisation is established for the sole purpose of promoting ethical trade through the wine and agricultural value chain towards a transformed sector.
Our objectives are to:
- formulate, adopt, periodically review, modify and improve an ethical code of good conduct governing labour and social standards for those involved in the wine and agricultural value chain
- promote the adoption of and adherence to the ethical code of good conduct amongst producers and growers engaged in the wine and agricultural value chain.
- implement relevant independent monitoring mechanisms to ensure that members of the Association within the wine and agricultural value chain observe and implement the ethical code of good conduct.
- determine ways of encouraging implementation of and compliance with the code, including (but not limited to) identifying support mechanisms for members to attain best practice and identifying recommendations on steps to be taken towards sustained ethical practices.
- determine measures to be taken in the case of non adherence to and violations of the ethical code of conduct.
- secure and maintain recognition and endorsement of this ethical code of good conduct and the monitoring and accreditation process amongst retailers and consumers within South Africa and internationally and to
- co-operate with organisations having similar aims and objectives, both nationally and internationally.